Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Birth story

This is sort of out-dated since princess Charissa was borned on 5 Nov and 5 days have since passed. But nevertheless, here's a recount of what really happened on that day.

12 midnight - 1.30 a.m. - reached Mt Alvernia hospital. Was told to go to level 3 delivery ward. Hubby was thinking if the staff there got the wrong impression again as I'm there for induction and not really in labour yet. We reached level 3 and was assigned to Delivery Suite 7. At the delivery ward, I was asked to change to delivery suit, peed into cup and then administered enema. I pooed, wash up and then back on delivery bed.

1.30 a.m. - 2.30 a.m - Hooked on CTG. Procitin inserted to ripen and soften cervix. While waiting for the medication to take effect, I felt hungry and had a piece of wholemeal bread.


2.30 a.m. - 3.30 a.m - started to feel pain at lower abdominum and didn't realise that it's contraction pain. I had the impression that it's baby's head pressing on my bladder again. The pain got quite intense. Midwife came to check on cervix dilation. I hate to be checked by the midwife as it's always so painful while I don't feel any pain when checked by my gynae. I got so angry and shouted at her to be more gentle. She asked me to bear with it and gave me the laughing gas instead, which didn't help at all. After suffering from the pain, I was just 1cm dilated.

Hubby looked at the CTG chart and told me that my contraction was getting quite regular with about 40% intensity. Got to realise that the pain that I was feeling was contraction pain as it matched with the chart readings. Hubby keep on persuading me to give in to epidural. Nurse called anesthetist. I went for my last toilet visit and walked around in the ward before being confined to bed. Miraculously, the pain disappear but too bad the anesthetist was already on his way.

3.30 a.m. to 4.30 a.m. - waiting for the anesthetist to arrive while regretting at the same time to give in so early as I don't feel any contraction pain during this period. Anesthetist arrived and provide a brief overview of epidural and its side effects. Epidural administered and back to the waiting game.

4.30 a.m. to 8.00 a.m. - trying to get some sleep while waiting.

8.00 a.m. - 9.00 a.m. - Dr Ong arrived. Checked cervix and I was only 1.5 cm dilated. Dr Ong gave some instructions to the midwives and left. Breakfast was served - fish porridge.

9.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. - trying to rest but can't. Midwives commented that my cervix dilation was very slow. Can't help worrying that my cervix can't dilate effectively for natural delivery. Midwife checked cervix dilation at 11.30 a.m. again and I was 2 cm dilated. Put on drip to speed up contraction. Lunch serve with fish porridge again. By 2 p.m., cervix dilation was 3 cm. Midwife estimated that baby would arrive earliest by evening.

2.00 p.m. - 4.48 p.m. - Keep on wondering how much longer to wait. Another cervix check showed that I was 8-9 cm dilated. Thereafter, everything was in fast forward mode. Gynae was called, legs up in stirrup and midwife started to ask me to push as baby was quite high up. Managed to push till baby's hair can be seen, gynae arrived and the pushing continues. I was almost breathless by then and ran out of energy. Forceps was used and our darling girl arrived at 4.48 p.m., weighing 3.33kg and measuring 49 cm in length.





Here's our 全家福


No comments:

Post a Comment