I had the most stupid and costly experience of my life! End up in hospital and incur a total cost of $2300+. That's damn stupid. Here's a recount of what actually happened.
On 15 Oct (Thu), I took half day leave and went to Takashimaya to buy some Clarins product. Before I did my shopping, I'm wandering about thinking of what to eat. Having gestational diabetes, I had limited choice. I'm also sick of eating the usual yong tau foo or fish soup. So, I ended up choosing Ajisen, thinking of ordering some ala carte dishes to fill my stomach. To my disappointment, Ajisen didn't offer much ala carte variety and most of them were noodles and rice set. Lazy to change place again, I chose agedashi tofu, fried silver fish and california maki. Thereafter, I proceeded with my shopping. A while later, I started feeling slight stomach cramps and decided to call it a day.
By the time I reached home, I'm dead tired. Took a coconut drink after 4pm hoping to refresh myself but it didn't really help. The cramps seemed to be getting stronger. I went to bath and catch a nap before dinner at around 5.30pm. I couldn't sleep through the cramps. I just lay on the bed till about 7pm wondering what actually went wrong. Told my mum that I have no appetite and I'm having stomachache. The pain was getting really bad and I'm at a lost of what to do. I called my gynae clinic hoping to get some advise but realised that there's no night clinic on Thursday. I contacted my gynae at around 7.30pm and he asked me if I'm having wet discharge or bloody discharge. I told him no. He asked me if I can still endure the pain. I said yes. He then told me to monitor again and timed the cramps. If I really can't bear with the pain, then proceed to the hospital. I waited, hoping the pain could subside. The pain felt that someone was pulling forcefully from within, starting from the top of my tummy, spread to the bottom and my back. Then I started vomiting but the pain didn't go away with it. It's getting worse, till the point that I started shivering from the pain. I timed the frequency of the pain - an interval of 4-5 mins. Could this be contraction? Could I be in labour? Should I go to the hospital? I gave in and proceeded to the hospital.
Upon arrival, I told them that I got tummy ache. They can see the agony from my face and immediately wheeled me to the delivery ward. I was asked to change to a delivery robe. Then I vomited again, this time really big amount till the basin was choked. The pain is excruciating. I was strapped to the CTG and a fat nurse came to check my cervix. She's a nice person and I'm sorry to call her fat but her big fat finger really hurt my V area when she inserted it in to check dilation. I'm only 0.5cm dilated. My V was so sore after that. Moments later, they wanted to put me on drip which would mean that I'll be bed-bound. Because I'm so sore, I wanted to go to the toilet to rinse that area with warm water to reduce the soreness and I realised that there's no towels in the toilet and I felt so cold! Shouted for hubby to use the toilet paper to wipe me up as I'm shivering and can't move.
Back to the delivery bed, I was put on drip and had my temperature measured. 37.4 deg Celsius. I'm having a fever. Antibiotics was administered and popped two panadol pills. I tried to sleep but the cramps still coming back. Dr Ong came slightly after 12 midnight. He did some examination and said that I'm not in labour. Huh? Then what's the cramp about? Well, it's actually gastric pain from food poisoning. Stupid right? I had mistaken gastric pain with contractions! He asked me what had I eaten and I told him that my last meal was japanese food. He had my temperature measured again and it was above 38 deg Cel despite the two panadol pills that I popped. He said it's unusual to have fever from food poisoning and if the fever didn't go down by morning, I'll have to go for emergency c-sect. At that moment, baby didn't show any signs of distress though her heart was beating faster than usual. Hubby started talking to baby, telling her to be a good girl and calm down.
By around 4am, baby's heart rate slowed down to the normal level and my fever had subsided. Dr Ong came at around 8.30am and noted that I looked better and I'll be transferred to a normal ward and put under observation. I was hoping that I could be discharged instead. Another nurse came in to draw 3 tubes of blood to find out if there's any viral infection causing the fever.
16 Oct - at the normal ward. I felt so bored at the hospital. Hubby went back home to wash up and catch some sleep. His eyes were swollen from insufficient sleep last night. I can't do anything except to lie on bed and watch tv. The nurses will come to do CTG and measure my blood pressure on and off. Every time the Phillipino nurse came to do the CTG on me always commented "Wah, your tummy very big, very big". I dunno what to say except to give her a meek smile. My mum came to the hospital to keep me company till evening time and hubby took over the shift till 10pm and went home again.
17 Oct - Dr Ong arrived at around 7.15 am. Did another cervix check again to make sure that I'm not going to be in labour and then gave the all clear to go home. He told me don't anyhow eat next time.
The total cost of this drama was $2300+ and only $900 can be claimed from Medisave. That really sucks! What's the use of Medisave then. I should've just go to any GP and get my dose of gastric pills and panadol. I feel sorry for hubby having to fork out this unnecessary spending because of my foolishness.
On 15 Oct (Thu), I took half day leave and went to Takashimaya to buy some Clarins product. Before I did my shopping, I'm wandering about thinking of what to eat. Having gestational diabetes, I had limited choice. I'm also sick of eating the usual yong tau foo or fish soup. So, I ended up choosing Ajisen, thinking of ordering some ala carte dishes to fill my stomach. To my disappointment, Ajisen didn't offer much ala carte variety and most of them were noodles and rice set. Lazy to change place again, I chose agedashi tofu, fried silver fish and california maki. Thereafter, I proceeded with my shopping. A while later, I started feeling slight stomach cramps and decided to call it a day.
By the time I reached home, I'm dead tired. Took a coconut drink after 4pm hoping to refresh myself but it didn't really help. The cramps seemed to be getting stronger. I went to bath and catch a nap before dinner at around 5.30pm. I couldn't sleep through the cramps. I just lay on the bed till about 7pm wondering what actually went wrong. Told my mum that I have no appetite and I'm having stomachache. The pain was getting really bad and I'm at a lost of what to do. I called my gynae clinic hoping to get some advise but realised that there's no night clinic on Thursday. I contacted my gynae at around 7.30pm and he asked me if I'm having wet discharge or bloody discharge. I told him no. He asked me if I can still endure the pain. I said yes. He then told me to monitor again and timed the cramps. If I really can't bear with the pain, then proceed to the hospital. I waited, hoping the pain could subside. The pain felt that someone was pulling forcefully from within, starting from the top of my tummy, spread to the bottom and my back. Then I started vomiting but the pain didn't go away with it. It's getting worse, till the point that I started shivering from the pain. I timed the frequency of the pain - an interval of 4-5 mins. Could this be contraction? Could I be in labour? Should I go to the hospital? I gave in and proceeded to the hospital.
Upon arrival, I told them that I got tummy ache. They can see the agony from my face and immediately wheeled me to the delivery ward. I was asked to change to a delivery robe. Then I vomited again, this time really big amount till the basin was choked. The pain is excruciating. I was strapped to the CTG and a fat nurse came to check my cervix. She's a nice person and I'm sorry to call her fat but her big fat finger really hurt my V area when she inserted it in to check dilation. I'm only 0.5cm dilated. My V was so sore after that. Moments later, they wanted to put me on drip which would mean that I'll be bed-bound. Because I'm so sore, I wanted to go to the toilet to rinse that area with warm water to reduce the soreness and I realised that there's no towels in the toilet and I felt so cold! Shouted for hubby to use the toilet paper to wipe me up as I'm shivering and can't move.
Back to the delivery bed, I was put on drip and had my temperature measured. 37.4 deg Celsius. I'm having a fever. Antibiotics was administered and popped two panadol pills. I tried to sleep but the cramps still coming back. Dr Ong came slightly after 12 midnight. He did some examination and said that I'm not in labour. Huh? Then what's the cramp about? Well, it's actually gastric pain from food poisoning. Stupid right? I had mistaken gastric pain with contractions! He asked me what had I eaten and I told him that my last meal was japanese food. He had my temperature measured again and it was above 38 deg Cel despite the two panadol pills that I popped. He said it's unusual to have fever from food poisoning and if the fever didn't go down by morning, I'll have to go for emergency c-sect. At that moment, baby didn't show any signs of distress though her heart was beating faster than usual. Hubby started talking to baby, telling her to be a good girl and calm down.
By around 4am, baby's heart rate slowed down to the normal level and my fever had subsided. Dr Ong came at around 8.30am and noted that I looked better and I'll be transferred to a normal ward and put under observation. I was hoping that I could be discharged instead. Another nurse came in to draw 3 tubes of blood to find out if there's any viral infection causing the fever.
16 Oct - at the normal ward. I felt so bored at the hospital. Hubby went back home to wash up and catch some sleep. His eyes were swollen from insufficient sleep last night. I can't do anything except to lie on bed and watch tv. The nurses will come to do CTG and measure my blood pressure on and off. Every time the Phillipino nurse came to do the CTG on me always commented "Wah, your tummy very big, very big". I dunno what to say except to give her a meek smile. My mum came to the hospital to keep me company till evening time and hubby took over the shift till 10pm and went home again.
17 Oct - Dr Ong arrived at around 7.15 am. Did another cervix check again to make sure that I'm not going to be in labour and then gave the all clear to go home. He told me don't anyhow eat next time.
The total cost of this drama was $2300+ and only $900 can be claimed from Medisave. That really sucks! What's the use of Medisave then. I should've just go to any GP and get my dose of gastric pills and panadol. I feel sorry for hubby having to fork out this unnecessary spending because of my foolishness.

No comments:
Post a Comment